The NLM intends to achieve the following objectives:
1. Employment generation through entrepreneurship development in small ruminant, poultry and piggery sector & Fodder sector
2. Increase of per animal productivity through breed improvement
3. Increase in production of meat, egg, goat milk, wool and fodder.
4. Increasing availability of fodder and feed to substantially reduce the demand – through strengthening the fodder seed supply chain and availability of certified fodder seeds
5. Encouraging establishment of fodder processing units to reduce the demand supply gap
6. Promoting risk management measures including livestock insurance for farmers
7. Promoting applied research in prioritized areas of poultry, sheep, goat, feed and fodder
8. Capacity building of state functionaries and livestock owners through strengthened extension machinery to provide quality extension service to farmers.
9. Promoting skill based training and dissemination of technologies for reducing cost of production, and improving production of livestock sector.